[clug] ADSL modem recommendations

Alastair D'Silva alastair at newmillennium.net.au
Thu Jan 21 19:14:23 MST 2010

Currently I'm looking at getting a DLink RT-N16 which can run OpenWRT, and
has everything I need except ADSL 2+, it consumes around 7W (although
hacking may bring this down - many devices use linear regulators internally
which bleed the extra power off as heat - swapping to a switchmode plugpack
of the appropriate voltage can save significant power), costs around $140 on
Ebay and provides 802.11n as well as a couple of USB 2.0 ports (which I need
to make it into a 6LoWPAN router).

I'll couple to this a second hand ADSL 2+ modem, which I expect to consume
around 5W and costs around $20 on Ebay.

The router looks like a pretty sweet unit - 128MB of RAM & 32MB of flash, as
well as USB ports make it quote flexible for a relatively low price.

Cheers,

--
Alastair D'Silva           mob: 0423 762 819
Networking Consultant      fax: 0413 181 661
skype: alastair_dsilva     msn: alastair at d-silva.org
blog: http://alastair.d-silva.org