[clug] linux Digest, Vol 85, Issue 23

Rodney Peters rodneyp at pcug.org.au
Thu Jan 7 22:27:33 MST 2010

On Friday 08 Jan 2010 14:27:20 linux-request at lists.samba.org wrote:
> Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 01:02:01 +0000 (UTC)
> From: Felix Karpfen <felix at spodzone.org.uk>
> To: linux at lists.samba.org
> Subject: Re: [clug] Printer supplies - advice sought
>
> On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 16:55:49 +1100, Mike Carden wrote:
> >> When they
> >> die, they're cheap enough to just throw away and replace.
> >

> > Or get for free via the CLUG list. The monster A2 Epson Color 3000 that
> > Craig Small gave me last year is still going strong and meets my modest
> > printing needs.
>
> There is clearly an inverse correlation between the quality of the
> <printer|ink> and the quality of the paper -

I don't think this is so - more a case of the paper having to complement the
characteristics of the printer/ink.  For best results, inkjets require paper
treated either via coating or smoothing so that it does not wick the ink.  My
18 yo Canon produces quite good results for text/graphics/diagrams on smooth
paper.

The other reason quoted for the coating is to increase archival life of the
print, which is irrelevant for every day work.

> e.g. the quality of "newsprint paper" is appalling; but their printers
> and inks are such that the end-product is readable, despite the fact that
> the paper has been printed on both sides.
>
> However, what is sauce for the goose is not sauce for the gander.
>
> I pre-date the throw-away society and it irks me to be required to select
> from products with varying degrees of "built-in obsolescence".  It also
> irks me that the cartridge in my Canon Printer held 18ml of ink, while
> the HP cartridges are filled by HP with 7 ml of ink (and less in the
> sample-cartridges that come with the printers).

Perhaps you should be pleased that newer tech printers use less ink for the
same number of reference pages (even if a cartridge does not cost any less).