[clug] Printer supplies - advice sought

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 18:10:14 MST 2010

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 12:02, Felix Karpfen <felix at spodzone.org.uk> wrote:

> I pre-date the throw-away society and it irks me to be required to select
> from products with varying degrees of "built-in obsolescence".  It also
> irks me that the cartridge in my Canon Printer held 18ml of ink, while
> the HP cartridges are filled by HP with 7 ml of ink (and less in the
> sample-cartridges that come with the printers).

So you do what I do and buy a "cheap" HP Color Laser. The ink doesn't
dry out and you don't have to worry about running "cheap" paper
through it. On a side note I have never understood the logic of
"saving" $2 (max) on cheaper paper and feeding it into your $150+
printer (when you include the cost of ink) and wrecking it.   I have
always spent the extra $2 or so and bought decent quality laser paper.

Current page costs are around 12c a page in full colour and a frazzle
less for colour. This includes paper, the printer (expected life of
10,000 pages) and HP genuine toner. I could use refills and get this
cost down a bit but I have found very varying quality in refills in
the past and have had them dump toner all over the printer, especially
when printing onto thick (180gsm+) stock. Note that the above are not
estimated costs based upon expected page counts but what I am getting.

Current printer is a HP Colour LaserJet 1600 / 2600n.

--
Andrew Janke
(a.janke at gmail.com || http://a.janke.googlepages.com/)