[clug] Printer supplies - advice sought

Felix Karpfen felix at spodzone.org.uk
Thu Jan 7 18:02:01 MST 2010

On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 16:55:49 +1100, Mike Carden wrote:

>> When they
>> die, they're cheap enough to just throw away and replace.
>

> Or get for free via the CLUG list. The monster A2 Epson Color 3000 that
> Craig Small gave me last year is still going strong and meets my modest
> printing needs.

There is clearly an inverse correlation between the quality of the
<printer|ink> and the quality of the paper -

e.g. the quality of "newsprint paper" is appalling; but their printers
and inks are such that the end-product is readable, despite the fact that
the paper has been printed on both sides.

However, what is sauce for the goose is not sauce for the gander.

I pre-date the throw-away society and it irks me to be required to select
from products with varying degrees of "built-in obsolescence".  It also
irks me that the cartridge in my Canon Printer held 18ml of ink, while
the HP cartridges are filled by HP with 7 ml of ink (and less in the
sample-cartridges that come with the printers).

Felix Karpfen

--
Felix Karpfen
Public Key 72FDF9DF (DH/DSA)