[clug] Downloading binaries from Newsgroups?

Adam Baxter voltagex at voltagex.org
Thu Jan 7 16:10:16 MST 2010

I use a python based program called SABNZDBd to grab Usenet binaries.

It supports ".par2" parity files which can be used to repair damaged
posts such as the one mentioned above. PAR2 has become a defacto
standard, and as such, most posts will come with a .par2 "set" that
can be used to repair anywhere from 10% to 30% of the original file,
at the cost of extra downloads.

Most smart Usenet clients recognise par2 sets, and only download them if needed.

Die.zwei.Tuerme.DVD9.untouched.DGB.par2

Is the German name for The Two Towers movie ;)

DVD9.untouched means it is a direct copy of the original DVD with
additional compression, as you can probably see by the filesize.

This is getting far, far offtopic for this list.

--Adam