[clug] Printer supplies - advice sought (linux Digest, Vol 85, Issue 19, message 7)

Lana Brindley lanabrindley at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 13:51:34 MST 2010

2010/1/8 David Tulloh <david at tulloh.id.au>:
> Felix Karpfen wrote:
>>
>> My instinct is that the problem relates to the geometry of the paper feed.
>>  The paper feed on my Canon printer was from the top (and assisted by
>> gravity).  On the HP printers, the papers are picked up from a horizontal
>> wad of papers that lies at the front of the printer. So the paper feed gets
>> no help when it has to overcome the surface friction between consecutive
>> sheets.
>>

> The horizontal feed in the standard, particularly for larger commercial
> models so I doubt it's a significant issue.  I currently have a (laser)
> Samsung CLP-315 with a horizontal tray and feed it all sorts of crap, mainly
> Office Works home brand paper but also paper I've had floating around the
> house, (laser) transparencies etc.  I've been using lasers like this for
> years at low volumes without paper feed issues.

There's a really good chance that the higher-end printers are made
with better quality materials that don't get jammed up ith cheap-arse
paper though.

Cheers! Lana

Writing gives you the illusion of control, and then you realise it's
just an illusion, that people are going to bring their own stuff into
it.
  - David Sedaris

http://lanabrindley.blogspot.com

See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html for more information.