[clug] Printer supplies - advice sought (linux Digest, Vol 85, Issue 19, message 7)

Lana Brindley lanabrindley at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 13:34:19 MST 2010

2010/1/8 Felix Karpfen <felix at spodzone.org.uk>:
> On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 00:10:35 +1100, Miles Goodhew wrote:
>
>>> From: Felix Karpfen <felix at spodzone.org.uk>
>>>

>>   I've run a Deskjet 2600 (I think - the parents have it now) Since
>> about Y2K-ish sporadically and mostly using cheap, recycled paper and
>> often with refilled carts (But I gave-up on the bother of that a while
>> ago).
>>   The only possible paper problem I can foresee might be if you put
>> too much in. I think most of their (current) baseline models have 80 pg
>> hoppers. I rarely get close to this, just stuffing 0.5cm or so in at a
>> time.
>
> Firstly, my thanks to all who were good enough to share their experiences
> with printers/papers.
>
> The following additional info might provoke a few more memories.
>
> Like Lana Brindley, I started my "inkjet-printer career" with a Canon
> Printer (and Windows 98).  That printer (with supermarket paper) lasted
> over 6 years.  When the Canon printer breathed its last, I found that
> Canon did not supply drivers for Linux.

No they don't (although I've heard a rumour that they do actually make
a few here and there. I've never gone hunting them down though). I
haven't had any trouble finding printers that will work with an open
source driver, though. I'm currently running a Canon i560 (which was
second hand from my Mum. I've had it about 18 months, and I think Mum
had it for at least 2 years prior to that). I'm running it with the
"Canon BJC-7000 Foomatic/gimp-print-ijs" driver. You might find that
you need to do a little googling to find the right matching driver,
but the Linux Foundations "Printer Compatibility Database"
(http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting/database/databaseintro)
is a good place to start.

> So I switched to HP.  And that is where the trouble started.  But I am a
> slow learner, and it took time for the penny to drop.
>
> My instinct is that the problem relates to the geometry of the paper
> feed.  The paper feed on my Canon printer was from the top (and assisted
> by gravity).  On the HP printers, the papers are picked up from a
> horizontal wad of papers that lies at the front of the printer. So the
> paper feed gets no help when it has to overcome the surface friction
> between consecutive sheets.

I think you're on to something there ...

> If that is the problem, then the right question is:
>
> Are there any other suppliers of better quality white A4 printing papers
> in Canberra?
>
> For the record, the cost of buying a ream of printing papers from HP is
> greater than the cost of my latest printer (HP D2560) from ebay.

Maybe the better question is - which printer do I buy instead?
especially if the paper is more expensive than the printer ...

Cheers! Lana

Writing gives you the illusion of control, and then you realise it's
just an illusion, that people are going to bring their own stuff into
it.
  - David Sedaris

http://lanabrindley.blogspot.com

See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html for more information.