[clug] Printer supplies - advice sought (linux Digest, Vol 85, Issue 19, message 7)

Felix Karpfen felix at spodzone.org.uk
Thu Jan 7 13:13:04 MST 2010

On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 00:10:35 +1100, Miles Goodhew wrote:

>> From: Felix Karpfen <felix at spodzone.org.uk>
>>

>   I've run a Deskjet 2600 (I think - the parents have it now) Since
> about Y2K-ish sporadically and mostly using cheap, recycled paper and
> often with refilled carts (But I gave-up on the bother of that a while
> ago).
>   The only possible paper problem I can foresee might be if you put
> too much in. I think most of their (current) baseline models have 80 pg
> hoppers. I rarely get close to this, just stuffing 0.5cm or so in at a
> time.

Firstly, my thanks to all who were good enough to share their experiences
with printers/papers.

The following additional info might provoke a few more memories.

Like Lana Brindley, I started my "inkjet-printer career" with a Canon
Printer (and Windows 98).  That printer (with supermarket paper) lasted
over 6 years.  When the Canon printer breathed its last, I found that
Canon did not supply drivers for Linux.

So I switched to HP.  And that is where the trouble started.  But I am a
slow learner, and it took time for the penny to drop.

My instinct is that the problem relates to the geometry of the paper
feed.  The paper feed on my Canon printer was from the top (and assisted
by gravity).  On the HP printers, the papers are picked up from a
horizontal wad of papers that lies at the front of the printer. So the
paper feed gets no help when it has to overcome the surface friction
between consecutive sheets.

If that is the problem, then the right question is:

Are there any other suppliers of better quality white A4 printing papers
in Canberra?

For the record, the cost of buying a ream of printing papers from HP is
greater than the cost of my latest printer (HP D2560) from ebay.

Felix

--
Felix Karpfen
Public Key 72FDF9DF (DH/DSA)