[clug] Printer supplies - advice sought

Lana Brindley lanabrindley at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 22:21:11 MST 2010

2010/1/7 Alex Satrapa <grail at goldweb.com.au>:
> On 07/01/2010, at 14:30 , Felix Karpfen wrote:
>
>> Hitherto, I have bought my paper-supplies at the local supermarket.  I
>> note that HP sells a range of papers for its printers at:
>>
>> http://search.hp.com/gwaueng/query.html?charset=iso-8859-1&lk=1
>>
>> and charges some 4-5 times the amount that I have paid hitherto.
>
> Pretty much spot-on. Not enough profit from just the ink, so they design their printers to work with specific paper[citation needed].  All in your own best interests of course, since the cheaper paper won't show your documents or images to their greatest potential.
>
> Cheap paper from the supermarket will work okay for laser printers, but even then you'll have problems with lots of paper dust clogging up the works.
>
> One could opt for the more expensive paper and just use less of it, or ditch the printer altogether and get documents printed at the local print-shop.

Or feed the papers through one at a time, and just replace the cheap
printer every year or so when it dies. Cost-wise it probably works out
about the same.

Incidentally, I buy my paper at the supermarket on the cheap, too, but
the Canon seems to be holding up ok.

Cheers! Lana

Writing gives you the illusion of control, and then you realise it's
just an illusion, that people are going to bring their own stuff into
it.
  - David Sedaris

http://lanabrindley.blogspot.com

See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html for more information.