[clug] Who in Canberra replaces blown capacitors on motherboards?

Ben Nizette bn at niasdigital.com
Sun Feb 28 23:58:42 MST 2010

On 01/03/2010, at 5:38 PM, Michael James wrote:

> On 23/02/2010, at 9:23 AM, Ben Nizette wrote:
>
>>> Is there anyone in Canberra who can get out a soldering iron
>>> and replace the blown capacitors with more reliable ones?
>>

> <threadjacking=on>
>
> I managed to crash my son's radio control glider (on my first flight yet  8^()
> and put major creases in the electro caps on the motor controller.
> The tops are folded in to a right angle as if hit with a steel ruler.

Ahaha, nice work

> And it still works!  How bad can electros be, and hold charge?

Criminy, never seen ones that bad hold a charge!  If you stuck a 'scope on the power lines I reckon you'd see a hell of a ripple up.

> I'd replace them but apart from capacitance (Farads) and Volts
> I'm not sure of the ratings of electros (to deliver current etc.)

The only other real value of interest to the regular human being is ESR - Equivalent Series Resistance.  There's no down-side to getting lower ESR ones than rated except possible pocket damage - ESR goes down price goes up.  If you can satisfy the ratings out of Jaycar's "Low ESR" range I'd just go for those.

	--Ben.