[clug] Internode dumps FOSS for MS Exchange

Lana Brindley lanabrindley at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 01:35:31 MST 2010

On 17 February 2010 19:23, Hal Ashburner <hal.ashburner at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 17/02/2010 7:04 PM, Lana Brindley wrote:
>
>> Seen me arguing about it? ;)
>>
>> It's a business decision. They should be making the decision that best
>> suits
>> their business. If they've decided that the best fit for their business is
>> Exchange, then so be it. Oops, my MBA is showing again. Sorry.
>>

> Hitting grannies over the head and stealing their handbags. It's a business
> decision. If someone has decided that the best fit for their business is
> violent mugging then so be it. Oops indeed.

Of course, even companies are bound by the laws of the land. It's a bit of a
stretch to compare a business decision about software to an illegal act.

> There is more to any decision that "this is what suits me right this
> second." I'm taking with the summary not the actual decision some ISP has
> come to about software they are using. I'll bow out of this thread now,
> sorry.

I'm sorry, I'm having trouble understanding what you mean here. Yes, there
is more to any decision than what suits me right now, but I doubt that some
person at Internode woke up the other morning and thought "I know! Let's
install Exchange!". Which is where the distinction between a decision an
individual might make and what I referred to as a "business decision" lies.
A business decision will have been analysed by a group of people within the
organisation to decide if it was the appropriate thing to do. Not to say
that they always get it right, the evidence is quite strong that at least
sometimes business decisions are actually really, really bad. But it won't
have made on a whim. Probably ;)

Cheers! Lana

Good-bye. I am leaving because I am bored.
 - George Saunders

http://lanabrindley.blogspot.com

See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html for more
information.