[clug] Internode dumps FOSS for MS Exchange

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Wed Feb 17 02:11:13 MST 2010

On 17/02/2010, at 18:19 , Chris Smart wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 4:51 PM, Alex Satrapa <grail at goldweb.com.au> wrote:
>> On 17/02/2010, at 15:00 , Chris Smart wrote:
>> No, we're not fighting Microsoft.  Or at least the "we" that contains *me* is not.
>
> OK, so then Internode dumping free software for Exchange doesn't matter?

No, it doesn't matter, except to people who perceive everything Microsoft as being "evil".  I'm disappointed that they couldn't get FOSS solutions to do the same job, especially since the iPhone is quite FOSS friendly.

What does matter to me (and I expect what matters to people writing the FOSS alternatives to Microsoft Exchange) is that they were very light on their details of why FOSS solutions weren't working for them.  That they skipped over all the issues of Zimbra et al, and just dived straight in lauding the virtues of Microsoft Exchange makes the article sound like a Microsoft propaganda piece.  Or at worst, Microsoft fanboy pr0n.

What requirements did Internode have that weren't satisfied before they started using Exchange?

I don't give two hoots about what software a company or person that I have requirement to conduct business with is using.  It's not like using Microsoft Exchange for their corporate workflow is equivalent to clubbing seals or exploiting Chinese workers to produce cheaper car parts.  I do give a damn if they try telling me that I have to use a particular format other than text, HTML or PDF.

Alex