[clug] Modern palmtop

Ben Nizette bn at niasdigital.com
Sat Feb 13 18:57:03 MST 2010

Hi all,

My Dad's a PhD candidate and is heading for fieldwork in Vanuatu next month.  He's looking for a little something to type up notes of an evening but the only source of power is a big old set of rechargable AA batteries.  I know old HP Palmtop things could run for ~60 hours on a set of AAs and while the keyboards were pretty crap kinda did everything needed.

Does anyone out there know of a similar piece of kit currently available which runs off AA batteries (not necessarily for 60 hours) and does at least the most basic of word processing?  Note the Gecko EduBook doesn't quite count as a) 4 hours from a set of batteries is a bit average and b) it won't ship till August.

Option 2 is to get the most frugal netbook which can be found and build a big ole external AA battery pack, does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks list :-)

	--Ben.