[clug] Article on building Linux 1080p media player + DVR for AU$600

Angus Gratton indogus at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 22:48:08 MST 2010

Hi Nathan,

I found the article interesting, thanks. I have an XBMC Xbox at the
moment, and I've been looking for options to replace it, as the Xbox
struggles with anything high def.

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 2:38 PM, Nathan O'Sullivan <nathan at mammoth.com.au> wrote:
> The hardware cost me $510 inc. delivery

FWIW, if you can live without the optical drive then an Acer Revo will
set you back about $320-330 on fleabay, with otherwise very similar
specs. Similar price for the fit-pc2 (which is tiny!), although it's
video decoding support appears a bit more finickety.

>I'm using the resulting system fulltime (after having used a combination of MythTV + XBMC for some time)

Did you ever look into running a MythTV backend with XBMC as the
frontend? I've only ever looked into it, not tried it. AFAIK you still
need to schedule recordings via the web interface, but can watch live
TV & existing records.

Cheers,

Angus