[clug] Article on building Linux 1080p media player + DVR for AU$600

Nathan O'Sullivan nathan at mammoth.com.au
Mon Feb 1 20:38:54 MST 2010

Some list members may be interested in this, but!! please note the site
is run by my employer and has banner ad at top of the pages - so please
stop reading if this sounds too commercial for you

Late last year I wrote an article building a 1080p media player with the
new Asrock ION330, which is one of the first machines available with
Nvidia's new ION platform. In short, the ION provides for
GPU-accelerated video playback and is well supported by XBMC on linux.

Due to the site's demographic, the article is written with a Windows
user in mind - so it covers some basic stuff in a quite a bit of detail.
The software used is Ubuntu and XBMC, and I tried to cover everything in
terms of getting 1080p, 5.1 surround sound over HDMI. The hardware cost
me $510 inc. delivery

http://www.ausgamers.com/features/read/2810841

In January, I finished the followup article - purchasing a USB TV tuner
for about $60 delivered, setting up the recording software Tvheadend,
and finally integrating it with XBMC.

http://www.ausgamers.com/features/read/2841622

I'm using the resulting system fulltime (after having used a combination
of MythTV + XBMC for some time) and overall I'm pretty happy with it.
Tvheadend is certainly no match for MythTV in the scheduling department,
but XBMC is so pleasant on the eyes. If you tend to primarily watch
ripped DVDs and listen to MP3s as I do, I think its perhaps the better
choice.

Regards
Nathan