[clug] Digital Camera selection help

Edward C. Lang edlang at edlang.org
Tue Aug 31 06:39:55 MDT 2010

Hi,

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 10:25:33PM +1000, Scott Ferguson wrote:
>  On 31/08/10 21:55, Edward C. Lang wrote:
> > Maybe try a Nikon dSLR of some sort, coupled with some old F-mount
> > lenses -- that way, at least, the aperture and the focus can be set
> > without using fiddley knobs and buttons. You might be able to achieve
> > something similar with Pentax and its K-mount lenses...
> >
> > Does it need to be digital?
>
> Yes. It's for an elderly, non-technical person, with severe arthritis...
> changing film or lenses, removing sdcards etc are all out.

If that's the case, the generally high eye-point on the Nikon [d]SLR
bodies would probably be an advantage.

> I should have mentioned that the end user has little feeling in the
> extremities (chemo+radiotherapy).

You might also want to think about getting a little tripod that doesn't
require incredibly fine motor control (like a Gorilla Grip) and a remote
shutter release cable to reduce the need to constantly hold the camera.
The cable could also allow the camera to be worn hanging from the neck,
which, used with a light wide-angle lens set at the hyperfocal distance,
would mean almost thought-free photography: just face in the right
direction and activate the shutter.

This is kind of like a Holga...

> Your suggestions give me a much better search starting point than just
> ("digital" AND "camera") etc. :-)

No worries!

 - Edward.

--