[clug] Digital Camera selection help

Ben Davies ben.davies at anu.edu.au
Tue Aug 31 18:48:14 MDT 2010

On 31/08/10 22:39, Edward C. Lang wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 10:25:33PM +1000, Scott Ferguson wrote:
>>   On 31/08/10 21:55, Edward C. Lang wrote:
>>> Maybe try a Nikon dSLR of some sort, coupled with some old F-mount
<snip>

>>> Does it need to be digital?
>>
>> Yes. It's for an elderly, non-technical person, with severe arthritis...
>> changing film or lenses, removing sdcards etc are all out.
>
> If that's the case, the generally high eye-point on the Nikon [d]SLR
> bodies would probably be an advantage.

For the SLR option, is the user intending on using the viewfinder or live view (LV) mode?

Some DSLR viewfinders (eg. Nikon's DX format) may be too small for an elderly photographer. Full frame DSLRs are significantly better, but cost much more.

The LV mode for DSLRs may be worse, based on experience with Nikon. The LV 'feature' on the D700 is astoundingly bad: shots require multiple shutter releases with temporary screen blanking etc. I'm not sure which other Nikon DSLRs support it, or if they have a better LV implementation/UI.

HTH,

Ben