[clug] Digital Camera selection help

Scott Ferguson prettyfly.productions at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 06:25:33 MDT 2010

 On 31/08/10 21:55, Edward C. Lang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 09:34:21PM +1000, Scott Ferguson wrote:
>>  I'm searching for a digital camera that:-
>>
>>     * is fully supported under GNU-Linux
>>     * suitable for arthritic fingers
>>     * costs less than a new laptop
> Maybe try a Nikon dSLR of some sort, coupled with some old F-mount
> lenses -- that way, at least, the aperture and the focus can be set
> without using fiddley knobs and buttons. You might be able to achieve
> something similar with Pentax and its K-mount lenses...
>
> Does it need to be digital?

Yes. It's for an elderly, non-technical person, with severe arthritis...
changing film or lenses, removing sdcards etc are all out.

> You could probably get an interchangeable
> lens film camera and a scanner for a similar price, and then you could
> use things like screw-in soft release buttons to make the camera easier
> to handle. I don't think any of the current dSLRs support those.
>
> If you want small and digital, I daresay any of the middle-level
> prosumer fixed lens cameras in auto / programme mode would be suitable.
>
> Regards,
>
> Edward.

I should have mentioned that the end user has little feeling in the
extremities (chemo+radiotherapy).
Thanks for the Nikon and Pentax tip - I suspect that the SLR type body
might be easier to hold than the tiny elcheapo digitals.

Your suggestions give me a much better search starting point than just
("digital" AND "camera") etc. :-)

Cheers