[clug] [on topic] vmware problem

Eyal Lebedinsky eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Thu Aug 26 17:09:52 MDT 2010

Hi,

This is a technical question so those interested only in social discussions
should stop reading now and avoid disappointment :-)

Not having a windows desktop, and needing one for some situations, I keep a VM
for those rare cases.

I use vmware server 2.0.2, and as of recent the console stopped working.
It does not even start, and it seems to be a long known issue with firefox
3.6 (which Mozilla seems uninterested in fixing).

I understand that downgrading to ff 3.5 resolves the issue but I am trying
not to override the f13 update process at this stage.

The solution for me is to launch the remote server directly, I use:

bin="/home/eyal/.mozilla/firefox/4apxqcci.default/extensions/VMwareVMRC at vmware.com/plugins"
$bin/vmware-vmrc -h localhost:8333 -u eyal -K -M 96 &

which brings up a console just fine, except that the keyboard goes crazy at
this point. Not just in the VM, but on the host system itself. In the VM
moving the mouse causes the caps-lock light to change mode. The mouse pointer
changes from arrow to a hand seemingly randomly. The notification toggles
between "Ctrl + Alt" and "Alt G". The host loses control over the shift key
which makes it very difficult to use. Shutting the VM console down (When
I can) leaves the keyboard is this broken mode.

This is a reasonably straight f13 installation.

Any suggestions?

TIA

--
Eyal Lebedinsky	(eyal at eyal.emu.id.au)