[clug] [on topic] vmware problem

Angus Gratton gus at projectgus.com
Thu Aug 26 17:18:45 MDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-08-27 at 09:09 +1000, Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:
> I use vmware server 2.0.2, and as of recent the console stopped working.
> It does not even start, and it seems to be a long known issue with firefox
> 3.6 (which Mozilla seems uninterested in fixing).

Are you able to install and use the standalone VMWare Server client
application instead of the web browser plugin? I have bad memories of
the web browser plugin in general.

> Any suggestions?

Have you tried VirtualBox? I've used both VMWare Server & VirtualBox
quite a bit and I've generally found VirtualBox to be less frustrating.
Especially if you're running the VM on the local machine. YMMV, of
course.

VirtualBox supports VMDK disk images natively, so you can probably get
it running in a few minutes if you want to test it out.

- Angus