[clug] Vaguely off topic: iPeds and other Android tablets - availability and comparisons to that Apple one

Angus Gratton gus at projectgus.com
Wed Aug 4 16:47:38 MDT 2010

Hi David,

On Wed, 2010-08-04 at 15:48 +0930, David Lloyd wrote:
> Here comes the cat...

I don't know if you're just trolling, but I'm going to give you an
earnest answer anyhow. :)

> So it might be worth buyin an iPad and various peripherals such as USB connectors and such...to get something that actually works out of the box, and works well?

Well, the cheapie Android tablets work out of the box as well. They're
just Android 1.6, and if you want some things (Google's Marketplace, for
example) then they have to be added by doing a bit of your own tweaking.

I'm talking about upgrading to a whole new Android version (2.1 or 2.2),
which thanks to GPL violations may only be possible on many devices
unless the manufacturer releases it themselves.

That said, if someone actually wanted an iPad then I personally wouldn't
recommend that they buy any of these devices instead. They're not in the
same league. I'm hoping that will change in the future, though. :).

Regards,

Angus