[clug] Vaguely off topic: iPeds and other Android tablets - availability and comparisons to that Apple one

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Wed Aug 4 16:48:19 MDT 2010

On 4 Aug 2010, at 16:18, David Lloyd wrote:

> So it might be worth buyin an iPad and various peripherals such as USB connectors and such...to get something that actually works out of the box, and works well?

No.

You buy the iPad because you have a use case. You get the peripherals because you find you have a need for them.

So for example if you catch the bus to work, the iPad will be great for catching up with email, reading your RSS subscriptions, working on some notes you had started last night on Evernote, read a book, etc - stuff you *could* do on a netbook. The iPad merely provides a more convenient form factor and interface for the "I have nowhere to sit my keyboard" moments.

You don't get an iPad because you believe in the LASER model of problem solving (ie: invent this amazing thing and then start looking for problems to solve with it).  You definitely don't get all the available peripherals until you find you have a need for them.  The Camera Connector Kit is a kit for connecting cameras, it is not a USB port in disguise.  Don't buy one thinking you're giving the iPad a USB port.

Having said that, the anti-glare screen protector is a must, in my opinion.  Those fools with their shiny screens can never read stuff on the bus.

Also be aware that the only way of producing apps for the iPad is to get XCode and a Apple Developer Connection account - publishing to the iTunes store will cost you $99pa as a form of "club membership".

Alex

PS: In the meantime, can you people please stop talking about "consuming content". You *read* a book, you *watch* a movie, you *listen* to music.  Talking about "consuming content" places all media in the same bucket ("stuff we can sell you" as opposed to "interesting things that are worth buying") and treats them as disposable junk that you just keep disposing of (you "consume" electricity, water, gas, you "eat" food).