[clug] Super Dumb question. Network filesystems: NFS, CIFS and ???

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Tue Apr 27 06:40:23 MDT 2010

Michael Cohen <scudette at gmail.com> writes:
> On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 9:56 PM, Paul Wayper <paulway at mabula.net> wrote:
>
>> Windows has had WebDAV inbuilt since Windows 2000.  It's possible to put a
>> WebDAV URL into a 'Network location' dialog and have it open it from there.
>
> Last time I tried to make it work (using XPSP2) I found that the
> microsoft webdav implementation was seriously broken.

Quirky, rather than broken, in many cases: one example is that you need to
build specific support into your application to open files from a WebDAV
share.

This means that Office will, but most other applications won't, on earlier
version of Windows.

[...]

> Its a bit of a shame because one of the appeals of webdav is that any
> windows user can use it as a shared drive with no added software so it
> would be great for web publishing etc.

... does it work better on supported (eg: recent) versions of Windows?

        Daniel