[clug] Super Dumb question. Network filesystems: NFS, CIFS and ???

Michael Cohen scudette at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 06:04:36 MDT 2010

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 9:56 PM, Paul Wayper <paulway at mabula.net> wrote:
> Windows has had WebDAV inbuilt since Windows 2000.  It's possible to put a
> WebDAV URL into a 'Network location' dialog and have it open it from there.

Last time I tried to make it work (using XPSP2) I found that the
microsoft webdav implementation was seriously broken. For example
there are numerous bugs with getting it to work over SSL and using
authentication. Most people dont use that for anything serious because
it will take you longer to get it working than using a third party
webdav implementation.

Its a bit of a shame because one of the appeals of webdav is that any
windows user can use it as a shared drive with no added software so it
would be great for web publishing etc.

Michael.