[clug] Virtual serial ports

Scott Ferguson prettyfly.productions at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 04:38:26 MDT 2010

> From: Adrian <adrian.blake at ieee.org>
> To: CLUG <linux at lists.samba.org>
> Subject: [clug] Virtual serial ports
>
> I have a dual serial RS232 port to Ethernet converter. I need to run 2
> minicom session on a machine that will talk via two virtual serial
> ports, then over IP to the converter. I understand that there is a
> common standard for doing this and thus I hope that the hardware I have
> supports this standard. I cannot locate the Linux drivers or how to
> create and install such a virtual serial port.  Any suggestions?
>
> Adrian
>
> -- Adrian Blake Molonglo Radio Observatory 1152 Hoskinstown Rd Bungendore, NSW, 2621 ph 02 80042212 mobile 0407 232 978 ------------------------------

I have set up a *single* serial to ethernet...

getty on "server"

minicom to "client"

setserial on both

#modify following line to suit
pppd -detach crtscts lock <local IP>:<remote IP> /dev/ttyS3 38400 &

#set up routing - modify to suit
(server)pppd -detach crtscts lock proxyarp <local IP>:<remote IP>
/dev/ttyS3 38400 &
(client)pppd -detach crtscts lock defaultroute <local IP>:<remote IP>
/dev/ttyS3 38400 &

I can't think of any reason why you can't use both ethernet connections
at the same time - but I'm tired ;-)

--
If it breaks - you get to keep both pieces