[clug] EXT4 Reliability

Ian McLeod ianmcleod75 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 02:32:59 MDT 2009

Hi Everyone,

I am compiling a backup of wedding master tapes and photos and was about
to use the usual route of NTFS support on an external drive in Ubuntu -
and stopped and thought - do I *need* NTFS for a backup drive?  Why not
use a (possibly more reliable) Linux file system?

So I promptly re-formatted a USB drive as EXT4 and I am happily copying
across gigs of precious data after chown'ing to my username.

Is EXT4 reliable for USB external drive backup purposes?  Quick reading
on the Internet seems to suggest so.  I presume especially compared to NTFS.

Thanks,

Ian