[clug] How to connect two Linux boxes? [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

jm jeffm at ghostgun.com
Wed Sep 2 22:30:57 MDT 2009

Will this connection between the two boxes be permanent or just while
the data is being transfered and then disconnected? If the latter, how
often will you need to repeat this process?

For a temp solution, plug in a cross over network cable between the two
machines, A and B, with B being the one with the existing network. then,

A# mii-tool                                   <-- check cabling
A# ifconfig eth0 192.168.100.1   <-- I've pick addresses at random.
You'll have to pick something that wont clash with thi existing network

B# mii-tool
B# ifconfig eth1 192.168.100.2

run

# netstat -rn

 to check the routing on both machines have routes pointing to the
correct interfaces

start on ftp server on one of the machines. You'll have to configure
this to match local (in-house) requirements. Then ftp from one machine
to the other. If this is to be a more on-going arrangement you can edit
the /etc/network/interfaces file on ubuntu and the
/etc/sysconfig/ifcfg-eth1 file on the redhat box.

This is a quick run through of a possible solution. If this matches what
your thinking I can flesh out the details where you need them.

Jeff.