[clug] How to connect two Linux boxes? [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Chris Smart mail at christophersmart.com
Wed Sep 2 22:32:00 MDT 2009

2009/9/3  <Ross.Wilson at ga.gov.au>:

> Any suggestions for a Networking Newbie?  I use Ubuntu regularly but don't know much about Redhat.

I'd probably just set a temporary IP and copy the data via rsync (over ssh).

You might need a cross over cable, but if not then you should be able
to set an IP address in the terminal (make sure that it doesn't
conflict with your current network):

Red Hat:
su -
ifconfig eth1 up
ifconfig eth1 192.168.123.1

Ubuntu:
sudo ifconfig eth0 up
sudo ifconifig eth0 192.168.123.2
rsync -av user at 192.168.123.1:/path/to/your/data .

Of course this assumes that your second network card on Red Hat is
indeed eth1 (ifconfig -a should show this) and that you have SSH
listening on that device. SSH might only be listening on eth0, in
which case you won't be able to rsync over eth1 without telling SSH to
listen on all interfaces and restarting the service. But try it first.

Also, replace "user" with the username account you want to log in to
the Red Hat box as (someone with read access to the data).

Note that leaving off the trailing slash on "/data" means it will copy
that directory itself also, rather than the contents only and the full
stop means put it "here" on the Ubuntu box. Gotta make sure you have
enough room to store all the data too, (df -h).

It'll take a while.

-c