[clug] problems with Ubuntu 9.10 on eeePC

jhock jhock at iinet.net.au
Mon Nov 16 15:54:05 MST 2009

On Tue, 2009-11-17 at 09:40 +1100, Scott Ferguson wrote:
> I don't run Ubuntu (but it is mostly Debian based)...
> Iceweasel/firefox keeps it's associations in (as noted by David
> Cottrill) in ~/.mozilla/firefox/randomfilename.default/pluginreg.dat
> The file says "Generated File. Do not edit." - however I have edited it
> without problems. Syntax is pretty basic, note that there is no line
> breaks between plugins.

I will wait to see other suggestions before I edit this file. It was
working fine before I upgraded both Ubuntu and Firefox.

> Firefox does not use the magic number to determine filetype... I have
> had a similar problem with image files that had previously been
> displayed with Firefox.I suspect your problem comes from your wm
> association - click on a file that Firefox has an association for an it
> (sic) will open it... click on a filetype that the wm associates with
> Firefox and Firefox should (attempt to) open it. If you try and open the
> .dat file in your file manager does Firefox open?

Firefox opens but then asks me what Firefox should do with the file.
(See previous answer to David Cottrill.

> If it does, but
> doesn't display it, then the problem is in Firefox - but as Firefox
> doesn't need/use another application to display HTML from a mail .dat
> file then if it doesn't display it - it may be because Firefox has the
> file/MIMEtype associated with another application OR Firefox needs
> quirks mode enabled (and it is disabled)

This seems like the problem. Do I edit the
~/.mozilla/firefox/randomfilename.default/pluginreg.dat or something
else to fix the problem?

> Re: the problem with your mouse - what options do you have in xorg.conf
> in the Input Identifier for your mouse (Mouse0?).

There is nothing in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file about a "Mouse". Here is
the content:
<<<>>>>
Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Default Screen"
        Monitor         "Configured Monitor"
        Device          "Configured Video Device"
EndSection
<<<<>>>>

> I'm "assuming" you've posted any relevant dmesg/syslog lines... :-)

No I haven't. Where are they and what do they tell me or you?

Thank you very much for your prompt reply and in anticipation of more
solutions.

John