[clug] problems with Ubuntu 9.10 on eeePC

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 16:30:10 MST 2009

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 09:54, jhock <jhock at iinet.net.au> wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-11-17 at 09:40 +1100, Scott Ferguson wrote:
>> I don't run Ubuntu (but it is mostly Debian based)...
>> Iceweasel/firefox keeps it's associations in (as noted by David
>> Cottrill) in ~/.mozilla/firefox/randomfilename.default/pluginreg.dat
>> The file says "Generated File. Do not edit." - however I have edited it
>> without problems. Syntax is pretty basic, note that there is no line
>> breaks between plugins.
>
> I will wait to see other suggestions before I edit this file. It was
> working fine before I upgraded both Ubuntu and Firefox.

Have you tried making a new user:

   System->Administration->Users and Groups->Add User

Logout, login as new user and then see if firefox and your .dat files
work?  There may be something going amiss with an old firefox profile
that went beserk during the upgrade.

I would be also interested to know if the machine boots into the new
user faster than your old user. Sadly gnome seems to create a lot
.config files of questionable value (at times).  With an upgrade I
invariably start with a clean home directory and then only add in the
files that I know I want. (.bashrc, .inputrc, etc).

Yes I know that things should just upgrade nicely and from a system
point of view this has been nearly always true for me (with
debian/Ubuntu upgrades), user config is always interesting though.

---

As a side-note for those with NFS mounted home directories (or a home
directory somewhere other than /home) when you upgrade to Karmic, be
sure to also fiddle with apparmor. Specifically
/etc/apparmor.d/tunables/home should have HOMEDIRS set.

eg:

   murdoch:~$ cat /etc/apparmor.d/tunables/home

   # @{HOME} is a space-separated list of all user home directories. While
   # it doesn't refer to a specific home directory (AppArmor doesn't
   # enforce discretionary access controls) it can be used as if it did
   # refer to a specific home directory
   @{HOME}=@{HOMEDIRS}/*/ /root/

   # @{HOMEDIRS} is a space-separated list of where user home directories
   # are stored, for programs that must enumerate all home directories on a
   # system.
   @{HOMEDIRS}=/home/ /data/home/

I mount homedirs in /data/home

--