[clug] problems with Ubuntu 9.10 on eeePC

Scott Ferguson prettyfly.productions at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 15:40:55 MST 2009

I don't run Ubuntu (but it is mostly Debian based)...
Iceweasel/firefox keeps it's associations in (as noted by David
Cottrill) in ~/.mozilla/firefox/randomfilename.default/pluginreg.dat
The file says "Generated File. Do not edit." - however I have edited it
without problems. Syntax is pretty basic, note that there is no line
breaks between plugins.
Firefox does not use the magic number to determine filetype... I have
had a similar problem with image files that had previously been
displayed with Firefox.I suspect your problem comes from your wm
association - click on a file that Firefox has an association for an it
(sic) will open it... click on a filetype that the wm associates with
Firefox and Firefox should (attempt to) open it. If you try and open the
.dat file in your file manager does Firefox open? If it does, but
doesn't display it, then the problem is in Firefox - but as Firefox
doesn't need/use another application to display HTML from a mail .dat
file then if it doesn't display it - it may be because Firefox has the
file/MIMEtype associated with another application OR Firefox needs
quirks mode enabled (and it is disabled)

Re: the problem with your mouse - what options do you have in xorg.conf
in the Input Identifier for your mouse (Mouse0?).

I'm "assuming" you've posted any relevant dmesg/syslog lines... :-)