[clug] Nvidia based Laptops in the $1200-$2000 range

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Sat May 30 03:24:18 GMT 2009

Andrew Janke <a.janke at gmail.com> writes:

> Here's hoping someone can point out anything that I might have missed.
> I need a new laptop and want to drive two external monitors thus I
> pretty much need an nvidia based one. (I know ATI is getting better
> each and every day but I know how to make nvidia work).
>
> So here is my shortlist.
>
> http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=rDC4nRJjYiuMe9W9IqjoRfg&single=true&gid=0&output=html
>
> Is there any manufacturer that I have missed in this range?

No, but you have a Lenovo SL series machine in that list, which you
*don't* really want: while they carry the ThinkPad name they are not a
real thinkpad inside. :/

> Toshiba == ATI only, Sony == $$$, Apple == $$$$$$

On the other hand, like real ThinkPads from Lenovo you do get a machine
that is highly likely to be robust and trouble free for many years...

> Samsung == haven't looked (yet), MSI seem to be expensive for what you
> get.

I would class Dell and ASUS in that category as well, from experience,
in which they usually feature in the "bigger, hotter, and more fault
prone than the competition" class.  (YMMV, of course, as I can only
speak to my personal experience here.)

Regards,
        Daniel