A hardware issue - was Re: [clug] Firewall settings on NetGear modem/router?

Boyd boydwilding at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 11:49:33 GMT 2009

Hi,

I use linux and windows, and also have the same router/modem device. I also
had similar issues when I first got my netgear device and I thought it was
well and truly faulty.

Give this a shot...and avoid the setup wizard at all costs!

Click on "ADSL settings" in the left hand menu, and where it says "DSL mode"
try each one of those 4 options, and see if it connects, trying each DSL
mode one at a time.

The 4 options are:

Auto (multi-mode)
ADSL (G.DMT) (this is the only one that worked for me)
ADSL2
ADSL2+

Even though I was using ADSL2, only the "ADSL" option would actually work
for me. Every other option gave me various symptoms that suggested the
device was completely and utterly faulty...but it ended up being the DSL
mode option that fixed it for me.

Hope this helps.