A hardware issue - was Re: [clug] Firewall settings on NetGear modem/router?

Carlo Hamalainen carlo.hamalainen at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 11:08:09 GMT 2009

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 12:43 AM, Felix Karpfen<felixk at webone.com.au> wrote:
> After 4 days of persistent tinkering, I have ended up with a lot of egg on
> my face and the realisation that the newly-purchased NetGear modem will
> *never* work with my existing hardware.

Really? It should work with various bits of hardware.

I don't think anyone else on the list has suggested this yet: boot an
Ubuntu live CD on your desktop and see if that works. It will try for
DHCP by default and you won't have to worry about firewalls getting in
the way. If that works then you'll be able to go debug your desktop
machine with confidence that the setup is ok and it's not a problem
with the router/modem/whatever.

--
Carlo Hamalainen
http://carlo-hamalainen.net