[clug] Re: Slackware session: was Debian session for any Choobs?

Mike Carden mike.carden at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 11:28:55 GMT 2009

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 8:57 PM, Denise Bates<dbates at fwi.net.au> wrote:
> I found an interesting article on Distrowatch on the topic...
> http://fullmetalgerbil.com/2009/06/26/five-reasons-i-prefer-slackware-over-ubuntu/

Where 'interesting' equals a poorly written and shallow critique of
Ubuntu with a tangential promotion of slackware.

Source versus binary eh? Fair enough.

What is your computing issue that benefits from Slackware? Please
don't think that I am criticising you or Slackware, I just want to
properly understand the issues.

I like the fact that we can all choose a binary or a source
distribution. Each of us can choose to be hard core and do Linux From
Scratch (LFS). Or, at the other extreme, we can use a Point n Drool
live CD to make a  fully functional desktop or (almost) a server.

More importantly, we can all contribute to making free software better,

I'm keen to attend a CLUG meeting where I'm shown the awesomeness of
Slackware, but I hope it's not presented as being inherently superior
to Ubuntu or Fedora or Suse or...

--
MC