[clug] Re: Slackware session: was Debian session for any Choobs?

Denise Bates dbates at fwi.net.au
Tue Jun 30 10:57:56 GMT 2009

Robert Edwards wrote:

> Wouldn't say I was a slackware "lover" (but it was my first ever foray
> into the wild woods of Linux way back when - installed off of 7 1.44MB
> floppies from memory - ahh those were the days - but I digress).
>
> However I would be keen to see and hear and experience (in person) a
> talk about getting a modern slackware distro going...
>
> I'm in.
>
> +1
>
> Bob Edwards.

I would be happy to run a Slackware-based session sometime in the
future, perhaps focussing on the merits of the simplicity/flexibility of
text over GUI-based installation/configuration systems which purport to
make Linux "easy". Although I am quite comfortable with using Slackware,
I have several weak spots, i.e., networking (if I showed how to access
"netconfig", I would appreciate some network savvy person jumping in).

I found an interesting article on Distrowatch on the topic...
http://fullmetalgerbil.com/2009/06/26/five-reasons-i-prefer-slackware-over-ubuntu/

regards,

--
Dr Denise J. Bates