A folloup query - was  Re: [clug] Calling all Linux n00bs

Rod Peters rpeters at pcug.org.au
Thu Jun 11 03:27:43 GMT 2009

On Thursday 11 June 2009 12:20:10 linux-request at lists.samba.org wrote:
> > I use an ASUS WL600G ADSL2+ modem/router/wireless AP

snip

> http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=WL-600
>g I haven't advised you to buy this, I've just said I use it, I like it,
> it's linux, you might like to look into it further. I don't think you'll go
> to far wrong with this, or indeed any other adsl modem/router. If you want
> to configure a firewall using iptables commands this does it. Drop in a new
> firmware to make it your lower power home server, you /can/ do that to.
> Plug it in and have it work without worrying about any of that? Does ok on
> that front too. Probably netgear has a slightly more
> user-friendly interface (by reputation at least).
> Good luck. You'll be fine.

Well you might be, as long as you understand that most of these packaged
routers either don't have the more effective firewalling techniques such as
SPI or, if installed, it is disabled by default, to avoid incompatibility
with Vista.  You can search for SPI and/or "TCP Window Scaling" on Wikipedia
to see why.

> Hal Ashburner

Rod