A folloup query - was  Re: [clug] Calling all Linux n00bs

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Thu Jun 11 05:00:18 GMT 2009

Rod Peters <rpeters at pcug.org.au> writes:
> On Thursday 11 June 2009 12:20:10 linux-request at lists.samba.org wrote:
>> > I use an ASUS WL600G ADSL2+ modem/router/wireless AP

[...]

>> http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=WL-600
>> I haven't advised you to buy this, I've just said I use it, I like it, it's
>> linux, you might like to look into it further. I don't think you'll go to
>> far wrong with this, or indeed any other adsl modem/router. If you want to
>> configure a firewall using iptables commands this does it. Drop in a new
>> firmware to make it your lower power home server, you /can/ do that to.
>> Plug it in and have it work without worrying about any of that? Does ok on
>> that front too. Probably netgear has a slightly more user-friendly
>> interface (by reputation at least).  Good luck. You'll be fine.
>
> Well you might be, as long as you understand that most of these packaged
> routers either don't have the more effective firewalling techniques such as
> SPI or, if installed, it is disabled by default, to avoid incompatibility
> with Vista.

Most of the low end consumer routers are based on their VXWorks or Linux, both
of which have TCP Window Scaling compliant SPI, or "connection tracking",
firewall implementations.

For most of the devices a firmware update is available that corrects them.

> You can search for SPI and/or "TCP Window Scaling" on Wikipedia to see why.

These issues exist, but mostly don't have the degree of trouble or the
significant flow on effects you suggest.

Regards,
        Daniel