A hardware issue - was Re: [clug] Firewall settings on NetGear modem/router?

Felix Karpfen felixk at webone.com.au
Thu Jul 2 01:27:37 GMT 2009

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 11:52:39 +1000, Alex Satrapa wrote:

SNIP

> Here's how I connected my computer to the Internet via an ADSL modem/
> router:
>
> 4)*Open a web browser* and point it at 192.168.1.1 (or whatever your
> router uses as its default address), log in as admin/admin

SNIP

> 6) In the Router configuration page, change the administrator account
> to [redacted]/[redacted] so that someone out there on the Internet
> can't fiddle with my configuration using malicious JavaScript/AJAX

A minor query.

I assume your "administrator's account" is equivalent to NetGear's
opening screen - which asks for "user name" and "password"?  If there
is a routine for changing these from the factory defaults, then the
routine is not identified in any of the screens that can be reached
from within the configuration URL.

My instinct is that, given my usage patterns, the hazards are unlikely
to be great; especially as I use Opera to surf the web. I have no idea
how Opera handles JavaScript/AJAX; but its security features are good.

Felix

--
Felix Karpfen
Public Key 72FDF9DF (DH/DSA)