A hardware issue - was Re: [clug] Firewall settings on NetGear modem/router?

Felix Karpfen felixk at webone.com.au
Wed Jul 1 04:23:34 GMT 2009

On Wed, 01 Jul 2009 11:21:02 +1000, Alex Satrapa wrote:

> On 01/07/2009, at 07:40 , Felix Karpfen wrote:
>
>> The configuration routine of the NetGear modem/router is somewhat
>> different. It requires inputs to 7 other parameters.  My ISP supplied
>> the correct values for 6 of them;
>
> Ah, would those be things along the lines of: - Encapsulation (PPPoA,
> PPPoE, etc)
> - VCI
> - VPI
> - Mux (LLC, VC/MUX)

All of those.

*And* it asks for 3 IP addresses; 2 of them are my ISPs (and have been
supplied by him); the third is mine and is fetched from the "WAN Gateway
(?)".  The option is to allow the network to fetch them.

And I have now noted that after completing the form (with the option to
allow the network to fetch the missing IP addresses) and pressing "accept"
*nothing* happens and all my entries are replaced with NetGear's default
values (which are unacceptable to my ISP).

>> with luck, the Wireless PCI Adapter will find and enter the missing
>> one.
>
> The Wireless PCI Adapter will only add more configuration issues for
> you,

That is what I was afraid of.

> The Ethernet adaptor you have should do the job of connecting your
> computer to the router just fine, for the purposes of configuration.

Total defeat is imminent.

Alas!

Felix Karpfen

--