A hardware issue - was Re: [clug] Firewall settings on NetGear modem/router?

Alex Satrapa alexsatrapa at mac.com
Wed Jul 1 01:21:02 GMT 2009

On 01/07/2009, at 07:40 , Felix Karpfen wrote:

> The configuration routine of the NetGear modem/router is somewhat
> different.
> It requires inputs to 7 other parameters.  My ISP supplied the
> correct values
> for 6 of them;

Ah, would those be things along the lines of:
- Encapsulation (PPPoA, PPPoE, etc)
- VCI
- VPI
- Mux (LLC, VC/MUX)

> with luck, the Wireless PCI Adapter will find and enter the
> missing one.

The Wireless PCI Adapter will only add more configuration issues for
you, since you'll have to configure the router's SSID, security and
beacon on top of everything else. It certainly won't solve any problems.

The Ethernet adaptor you have should do the job of connecting your
computer to the router just fine, for the purposes of configuration.

Alex