[clug] Two 'development kits' - $3000 'E Ink' and $99 Wal-Wart

James Greenhalgh james.greenhalgh at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 06:25:49 GMT 2009

Hi Bob,

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 4:57 PM, Robert Edwards <bob at cs.anu.edu.au> wrote:
> So, this is a very low power and low cost device. I can't see why they
> have constrained it by putting it into a plug-pack format? Why not separate
> the power supply from the device (like the Zonbu or EeeBox
> etc.) which would make it easier to incorporate into a car, a recumbent
> bike or to power it from wind or solar via batteries etc. etc.? Seems
> odd to me.

The devkit comes with a power cord that you can plug into the device.
You unclip the power pins to plug it in. That's probably not what you
meant by 'separating the power supply', but at least it doesn't need
to be plugged directly into a socket at all times.

> If it had some sort of wireless or powerline signalling system, then
> I might see some point in packaging it like that. Maybe I am missing
> something?

I agree it would make the device quite a bit more useful if it had
those inbuilt. I'm going to use a USB->Wireless dongle or an
Ethernet-Wireless bridge for IP communication which, as you say,
eliminates some of the the benefits of wall-plugness.

Cheers,
James Greenhalgh