[clug] Two 'development kits' - $3000 'E Ink' and $99 Wal-Wart

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Thu Feb 26 05:57:26 GMT 2009

James Greenhalgh wrote:
> Hi Bob,
>
> On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 2:32 PM, Robert Edwards <bob at cs.anu.edu.au> wrote:
>> Wasn't clear from their webpage if this thing would run on 240VAC
>> 50Hz, or not. Also wasn't clear if it uses powerline signalling,
>> or if you need to use the Bluetooth and/or the wired Ethernet port
>> for connectivity.
>
> You can download the specifics from:
> http://www.marvell.com/products/embedded_processors/developer/kirkwood/sheevaplug.jsp
>
> I downloaded the 'Documentation Package' ZIP from this page. There is
> a lot of detailed info in 'Sheevaplug-devkit Reference Design.pdf'
>
> As far as I can tell, the device doesn't use powerline signalling
> (there's no mention of it). There isn't a bluetooth adapter, either.
>
> It mentions on the website that the dev kit comes with a universal
> power adapter. From the aforementioned PDF, "AC power requirement is
> 110V/220V"
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Cheers,
> James

So, this is a very low power and low cost device. I can't see why they
have constrained it by putting it into a plug-pack format? Why not
separate the power supply from the device (like the Zonbu or EeeBox
etc.) which would make it easier to incorporate into a car, a recumbent
bike or to power it from wind or solar via batteries etc. etc.? Seems
odd to me.

If it had some sort of wireless or powerline signalling system, then
I might see some point in packaging it like that. Maybe I am missing
something?

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.