[clug] Exercise and pay the bills! [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Steven Ring smr at southsky.com.au
Mon Feb 9 04:02:26 GMT 2009

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 1:39 PM, steve jenkin <sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au> wrote:

> Is there a 'critical mass' of local generation where the inverters don't
> notice the grid has gone down??

I wondered the same thing last year when I did a "fun" unit on Solar
Electricity at ANU (Engineering Department: great course, top people).

Seems to me that if a section of the grid is a nett exporter of energy
at the time it is disconnected from the grid,  there would be no
signal to the inverters to turn off. Apparently, the anti-islanding
circuits are suppose to work on a built-in systematic frequency drift
(downwards -- and present in all inverter) to eventually trigger a
shutdown. But I could not find any related manufacturing standards.

The hardware guys will know way more than me on this one.

Steven