[clug] Debian Lenny DVDs?

David Tulloh david at tulloh.id.au
Sun Dec 27 20:38:08 MST 2009

Matthew Firth wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> If there are any CLUG members who happen to have some Debian 5.0r3 (Lenny)
> DVDs (both i386 & amd64 - just disc #1 of each) and might be willing to make
> a copy for me then I'd love to hear from them.

I'm going to be annoying and not answer the question.  Rather I
recommend you go the netinst route.  The netinst disk is about 150mb and
then you just download the binaries that you need, which should be well
under a gigabyte.  You also don't have the hassle of having to manage
multiple disks and a good apt setup encourages you to stay up to date
with your security fixes.

If you have multiple machines and don't have access to a free mirror
AptProxy works well, pulls files as they are needed and stores them for
the other computers to access.

There are certainly situations where the big disks are needed (eg.
secure environments) but I suspect most people just use netinst images
at home these days.

David