[clug] Recommended cabling person?

Rod Peters rpeters at pcug.org.au
Tue Dec 8 03:43:10 MST 2009

On Tuesday 08 December 2009 19:17:44 linux-request at lists.samba.org wrote:
> [clug] Recommended cabling person?
>  From: Chris Smart <mail at christophersmart.com>
>  To: CLUG List <linux at lists.samba.org>
>
> My Aunty and Uncle just moved to Canberra from Sydney and we need to
> cable the phone line (which is in the living room) over to the
> computer room at the other end of the house so that they can get ADSL.

That may not be the best topology, if they are getting a fixed line installed.
TransACT hard-wire a splitter at the barge board and run a dedicated ADSL
line from there to customer's chosen location.  There may be some advantage
in minimising the length of voice grade cable, particularly for ADSL2+.

A corrollorary is that, if they are using a TransACT partner as ISP then no
action required because the sub-contractor will run the ADSL line anyway.

> Does anyone have anyone qualified that they can recommend, or shall I
> just look in the yellow pages?
>
> -c

Rod