[clug] Recommended cabling person?

Paul Wayper paulway at mabula.net
Thu Dec 10 02:50:28 MST 2009

On 09/12/09 08:49, Chris Smart wrote:
> 2009/12/9 jhock<jhock at iinet.net.au>:
>> Whatever you do *don't* use Telstra. I had a telephone extension put in
>> and I had a gortex rain coat stolen. Two Telstra people turned up so I
>> didn't know who did it. The police said they couldn't do anything about
>> it because I didn't know which of the two took the coat.  Also my
>> insurance would not pay up because we invited the people into our house.
>
> Not a hope in hell that I'd use Telstra, don't worry! :-)

I recently had a second phone line put in and the subcontractor was only
allowed to run the line into the roof.  I wanted to take it under the house,
and I guess he probably worked out he didn't have to crawl around there and
took the easy way out.  So I did a bit of calling around of electricians that
did data cabling in the neighbouring suburbs.  After leaving messages for six
or seven, the only one that called back was Chris Hall of Lighten Up Electrical.

He came when he said he would, and after I explained what I wanted and why I
was being so complicated he gave me a decent quote.  I got him to run the
second (Naked) phone line under the house, connect up the two other Cat5 lines
that I had run to the kitchen, and take pity on my wooden cable wall plate
lash-up and replace it with nicer plastic ones.  He drilled separate holes for
these and ran the cables separately to the power outlet, so it was all done
very neatly.  I left him with access to the garage and nothing was taken.  His
price was a little more expensive than just the run of cable but he did a fair
bit of work and it was pretty tedious stuff.

Overall I'd recommend him.  His number is 0408 439 796.

This is just my opinion based on one instance.  Your experience may differ. :-)

Have fun,

Paul