[clug] Phone / USB Modems

Ian Munsie darkstarsword at gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 01:14:23 MDT 2009

Oh, before I forget, if you are in a 3G area I strongly suggest
setting your phone to always use 3G so that it doesn't go and roam
back to the slower-than-dialup GSM. Look under
Settings->Phone->Network->Network Mode. My N95 refers to this as UMTS,
other possible names include HSDPA, HSPA, 3G, 3.5G or 3G+. It will
probably be the only alternative to GSM or Dual Mode.

> As I mentioned, I believe Three has some subtle difference with their use of PAP or CHAP.

I searched through the list archives and found a post by Hal Ashburner
which seems to indicate that Three should work without any require- or
refuse- lines. Virgin and Optus should be the same (only difference is
in the T&C regarding capping p2p traffic and pricing).
http://lists.samba.org/archive/linux/2008-May/019760.html

-I
--
http://darkstarshout.blogspot.com/