[clug] Phone / USB Modems

Ian Munsie darkstarsword at gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 00:55:01 MDT 2009

> Again, I am happy to provide further assistance, including providing
> my ppp and chatscript files.

Reading the rest of the posts in this thread I think it's probably
best I just provide my configuration now and be done with it -
especially since my laptop which has the config files on it is turned
on at the moment ;)

My /etc/bluetooth/rfcomm.conf looks like my previous post, just
replace the device line with your phone's bluetooth address:
8< - - - cut - - - >8
rfcomm0 {
  bind yes;
  device 00:11:22:33:44:55;
  channel 2;
  comment "N95 Data";
}
8< - - - cut - - - >8

My /etc/chatscripts/optus-n95 NOTE: Change the "connect" with the APN
that your service provider uses (If the Internet works on your phone,
you can probably find it by poking through the phone settings:
Settings->Connection->Access Points->(blah)->Access point name.
Otherwise look in the documentation that came with the SIM or Google.
Note that the same provider often uses different APNs for subtly
different services - eg, I believe that Vodafone uses one for mobile
broadband users behind a NAT gateway and a different one for VIP
mobile broadband users who require a publicly addressable IP address.
Optus uses different ones for Internet bundled with voice ("internet")
vs. Mobile Broadband ("connect") vs. Optus Zoo only
("wap.optus.net.au") vs. MMS ("mms") - for some reason when I put the
mobile broadband SIM in the phone they sent me an SMS with the rest of
the APNs embedded - except of course for the "connect" one that I
actually needed).
8< - - - cut - - - >8
ABORT BUSY
ABORT ERROR
ABORT 'NO CARRIER'
REPORT CONNECT
TIMEOUT 10
"" "ATZ"
OK "ATE1V1&D2&C1S0=0+IFC=2,2"
OK AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","connect"
OK "ATE1"
OK "ATDT*99#"
CONNECT \c
8< - - - cut - - - >8

My /etc/ppp/peers/optus-bluetooth (As I mentioned, for USB replace the
first line with /dev/ttyACM0 and save under a different name, such as
optus-usb):
8< - - - cut - - - >8
/dev/rfcomm0
crtscts
usepeerdns
defaultroute
replacedefaultroute
noipdefault
noccp
nobsdcomp
novj
noauth
refuse-chap
require-pap
user "na"
password "na"
updetach
persist
connect "/usr/sbin/chat -s -S -V -f /etc/chatscripts/optus-n95"
8< - - - cut - - - >8
As I mentioned, I believe Three has some subtle difference with their
use of PAP or CHAP. Google around (restricting to
site:whirlpool.net.au may help) or try various combinations of refuse-
and require- from 'man pppd'. You may also find something in this
list's archives - I *think* that someone else mentioned the difference
early last year, maybe around February.
The user "na" and password "na" should not be changed - the
authentication is handled by the SIM card, not the legacy username &
password (which just need to be specified anyway to make everything
happy).

It may be possible to gain better performance by tweaking some of the
above options (maybe try removing the noccp, nobsdcomp and/or novj?),
but get it working first. The above gives me acceptable performance
for my needs.

-----------------------------
Note: The above chatscript is slightly different to the one I use for
my Huwei E220, which for anyone interested is below. Most differences
are merely superficial, the important difference is the AT+IPR line
which fails with the N95 but seems to be necessary for the E220:
/etc/chatscripts/optus-e220
8< - - - cut - - - >8
ABORT BUSY
ABORT ERROR