[clug] Looking for a netbook

Ian Munsie darkstarsword at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 23:16:24 MDT 2009

> What are 3G USB phone and dongle modems like in Linux?  Tempted to get one
> of those pre-paid packs although my Three account comes with 1GB / month
> which would be fine for me to use as a virtual desktop back home?  But I
> doubt Nokia phones would be supported in Linux as a modem?

I'm using a Nokia N95 as a modem over bluetooth (and USB) and it works
great. Once you add a definition for it under
/etc/bluetooth/rfcomm.conf then it will appear as just another serial
device that you use just like any other AT modem.

I don't use the fancy "Network Manager" for my connection (last time I
looked at it it worked fine for USB but had no way to connect over
bluetooth, but that may have changed by now). If you need help I can
provide the chat scripts and ppp options that I use to get it to work
with the pon command.

-I

--
http://darkstarshout.blogspot.com/